Encouraging kids and teens to be active from a young age sets good habits early on and helps them develop the skills they need to stay active throughout their lives.
WHY Being Active is important:
- with healthy growth and development
- build strong bones and muscles
- improve balance and develop skills
- maintain and develop flexibility
- improve cardiovascular fitness
- improve posture
- boost confidence and self-esteem
- have fun with their friends and make new ones
HOW Parents can help:
- Be a good role model and have a positive attitude to being active. If your children see you enjoying physical activity and having fun, it can motivate them to participate.
- Encourage them to play in the backyard, dance to music, ride a bike or get involved in vigorous activities like running, swimming or playing sports like soccer, netball or basketball.
- Make sure kids and teens have an opportunity to be active after school, either through active play or organised sport, HI REPS ACTIVE KIDS .
- Encourage kids and teens to try different sports or activities so they can find one or more that they really enjoy and want to continue with.
- Make sure they drink plenty of water when they are physically active or playing sports.
- An active lifestyle is fuelled by healthy foods – make sure your children make healthy food and drink choices and limit foods that are high in added sugar, salt and saturated fat.